Preparing a strategy is critical for an online marketing campaign. It’s an old cliche but that is why it still in use: it is true an ever relevant.
Fail to Plan = Plan to Fail. before you get bogged down in minutae of a campaign make sure you plan things to ensure you stand a chance of success.
- Make sure you have your business plan/development plan already prepared
- Make sure you take a business approach to the web. It is NOT an I.T. issue
- Know what you want. Start with measurable objectives for what want from your online presence
- Get familiar with what a web strategy can do you for you – it’s not just about a website and Google
- Understand what your customers what from your website and communications
- Make sure you know all your customers’ details, buying behaviour etc
- Appreciate that it the web is a tool (just like any other business tool) and if used incorrectly produces unwanted outcomes
- Use a professional Internet Marketing company. You use a proper lawyer and a proper electrician; why would you use an amateur for your online strategy or website?
- Make sure you consider trends such as smartphones. People don’t just use computers to access the web
- Think about the future. However you view it the web is only going to get more important for all business
- Get caught up in technology. Its a business discussion/approach not a technological one
- Assume that having a website is all that’s required
- Assume that because you have a website you will be found in Google by everyone
- Assume that Facebook, Twitter and Social Media are instant answers
- Assume that your business doesn’t need the web
- Think that Paying for ads in Google is the route to riches
- Let a the office junior run your website – this is a matter for management
- Judge websites by how they look. Visuals are important but like an iceberg; most of the important bits are unseen
- Think it doesnt apply to your business
- Sit back and wait for your competitors to leave you standing